Sheriff: Kossuth County man dies after being overcome by fumes at north Iowa hog facility
Donnelle Eller, Des Moines Register (IA)
Sep 8, 2021
A 33-year-old Whittemore man died this week at a Mason City hospital after being overcome by fumes at an open manure pit at a hog facility south of Algona.
Randy Dean Meyer of Whittemore died Monday at MercyOne North Iowa after being airlifted from Kossuth Regional Health Center in Algona on Saturday, according to the Kossuth County Sheriff's Office.
Rescue officials received a report around 10:15 a.m. Saturday of an emergency at 1701 U.S. Highway 169. Algona firefighters with breathing apparatus removed Meyer from the lagoon area.
Kossuth County Sheriff Roger Fisher said Wednesday that Meyer was an area farmer and manure applicator who was preparing to transport the contents of the lagoon to cropland. The facility is owned by Roethler Farms of Algona, Fisher said.