Electrical fire sparks inside Lambton County pig barn

 

Terry Bridge, The Stratford Beacon Herald (Canada)

Jan 06, 2021

 

WARWICK TOWNSHIP – Almost four years after a devastating barn fire inflicted about $3 million in damage – killing about 4,000 pigs and destroying the building – firefighters were dispatched Wednesday to another local pig barn run by the same Lambton County company.

 

But no animals were harmed this time and losses were minimal, a local fire chief said.

 

Emergency officials were initially notified shortly before noon of a “fully-engulfed” pig barn at a rural property on Zion Line, less than four kilometres northwest of the village of Watford. But Rick Sitlington, chief of Warwick Township’s fire station in Watford, said that wasn’t the case when they arrived.

 

“It wasn’t a fully-engulfed barn fire,” he said. “Just a little electrical fire inside.”

 

Sitlington added crews were still looking for the ignition source, but it was “definitely” electrical.

 

He also confirmed no people were injured or animals harmed.

 

“No loss,” Sitlington said.

 

No smoke or flames were visible from the scene on a clear and relatively mild day for early January, but multiple emergency crews – including Warwick firefighters, Lambton OPP and paramedics – were on site in vehicles with emergency lights activated.

 

A white sign near the entrance...

 

more

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/news/electrical-fire-sparks-inside-lambton-county-pig-barn