In this file:
· JBS opens new beef plant in Brazil as domestic prices rise
… The move comes as beef prices reached record highs last year amid a surge in Brazilian exports to China after an outbreak of African swine fever there that has reshaped meat trade flows globally…
· JBS donates $1 million to underpin Australian Volunteer Firefighter Trust
· Australia urges a quarter of a million to flee as winds fan massive bushfires
· NSW Government reveals $1b fire fund as RFS confirms 2,600 homes damaged or destroyed
JBS opens new beef plant in Brazil as domestic prices rise
Reporting by Roberto Samora and Ana Mano; Writing by Carolina Mandl; Editing by Steve Orlofsky, Reuters
January 10, 2020
SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Brazilian meatpacker JBS SA is opening a new beef plant in the state of Mato Grosso to cater to the domestic market, the chief executive officer of its beef division Friboi told Reuters on Friday.
The move comes as beef prices reached record highs last year amid a surge in Brazilian exports to China after an outbreak of African swine fever there that has reshaped meat trade flows globally.
Friboi CEO Renato Costa said JBS invested 70 million reais ($17.18 million) in its 37th Brazil-based beef unit, which is located in the town of Brasnorte. The plant can process 500 head of cattle per day.
Costa said JBS may make further investments in the Brasnorte plant...
JBS donates $1 million to underpin Australian Volunteer Firefighter Trust
Beef Central (Australia)
January 9, 2020
AS bushfire aid and support continues to flow in from across the business community this week, beef and sheepmeat processor and food manufacturer JBS Australia has announced a $1 million donation to the Australian Volunteer Trust, established by the Business Council of Australia in partnership with Equity Trustees.
The Trust will be a permanent and ongoing fund to support the children of volunteer firefighters who have died in battling this summer’s fires and any future major disasters.
JBS chief executive officer Brent Eastwood said the impact of the fires had been significant, and devastated communities across mainland eastern states.
“Through our business we have a direct connection and long-term relationships with many livestock producers and communities in these affected areas,” he said.
“Importantly, our donation to the Trust will support the children of volunteers who have died in fighting these fires and any future major disasters.”
“As a member of the Business Council, we are right behind this initiative and see it as an important way to acknowledge the role and sacrifices made by volunteers in the hard work they undertake and dangers they face in combating natural disasters,” Mr Eastwood said...
Australia urges a quarter of a million to flee as winds fan massive bushfires
· Australia urged nearly a quarter of a million people to evacuate their homes on Friday and prepared military backup as authorities said the next few hours could be “very, very challenging.”
· Defense personnel stood ready to move to bushfire grounds if conditions became extreme.
· Since October, 27 people have been killed and thousands subjected to repeat evacuations as monster fires scorched more than 25.5 million acres of land, or an area the size of South Korea.
via CNBC - Jan 10 2020
Australia urged nearly a quarter of a million people to evacuate their homes on Friday and prepared military backup as authorities said the next few hours could be “very, very challenging” even as rain poured down in some parts.
Defense personnel stood ready to move to bushfire grounds if conditions became extreme, Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters, as soaring temperatures and erratic winds create dangerous conditions.
“Even with rain in Melbourne, even with forecast better conditions next week, there is a long way to go in what has been an unprecedented fire event...and, of course, we know that we have many weeks of the fire season to run,” Daniel Andrews, the premier of Victoria, told a televised briefing.
“The next few hours are going to be very, very challenging.”
While the winds are expected to move through by Saturday morning, Andrews urged residents to stay on high alert and leave the community “if you are told to.”
Authorities sent emergency texts to 240,000 people in Victoria, telling them to leave. People in high-risk regions in New South Wales and South Australia were also urged to think about leaving, but officials did not say how many.
Since October, 27 people have been killed and thousands subjected to repeat evacuations as monster and unpredictable fires scorched more than 10.3 million hectares (25.5 million acres) of land, or an area the size of South Korea.
Campaigners protested in Sydney and Melbourne on Friday as part of a wave of demonstrations planned in major world cities, to spotlight concerns about Australia’s climate change policies...
NSW Government reveals $1b fire fund as RFS confirms 2,600 homes damaged or destroyed
ABC News Australia
Jan 8, 2020
The NSW Government has committed $1 billion to help rebuild bushfire-ravaged communities, as authorities confirmed blazes have destroyed 1,870 homes around the state this season.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the cash injection this morning, and said her Government was "stepping up".
The money will go towards repairing and rebuilding damaged infrastructure such as roads, rail lines, bridges, schools, health clinics and communications facilities.
It comes on top of more than $200 million already committed by the State Government, and a $2 billion national fund provided by the Federal Government.
"Of course, we are always standing shoulder to shoulder with those impacted by this devastating catastrophe that's come to New South Wales," Ms Berejiklian said.
"We are stepping up to the support."
The Premier said her Government's money would be used for infrastructure, while the Federal cash would go directly to people.
"It's been determined that the Federal Government's contribution, our [state's] share of the $2 billion, will go towards direct payments, to individuals, local businesses or councils," she said.
The figures come as the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) confirmed 1,870 homes have been razed by bushfires this season — a number likely to rise as assessments continue.
The RFS said a further 753 homes had been damaged this season.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday announced his Government would commit an additional $2 billion over two years to set up a new national bushfire recovery agency.
The agency will be led by former Australia Federal Police commissioner Andrew Colvin.
That investment is in addition to...