Kangaroo harvest halted in western Queensland as millions starve in drought

 

By Nathan Morris and Elly Bradfield, ABC Southern Qld

Nov 4, 2019

 

Western Queensland communities, harvesters and peak body AgForce have been shocked by a decision to stop the 2020 kangaroo harvest while millions of the animals starve during drought.

 

Last week, the ABC obtained an email from the Queensland Department of Environment and Science (DES) announcing it would stop the harvesting of eastern grey kangaroos in an area between Richmond to Hughenden, south to the border, and across to Cunnamulla.

 

There would also be no shooting of common wallaroos for the central-southern zone.

 

Populations of eastern grey kangaroos have fallen below the trigger point of 983,316 and wallaroo populations have declined below 126,483 in the areas concerned.

 

"It's such a tough time and that's the bit that's disappointing to us," said Michael Guerin, the CEO of peak rural lobby group Agforce.

 

He criticised the 'blanket approach' by the Queensland Government and said kangaroo culling provided jobs to regional towns struggling with drought, a downturn in local economies, and decreasing populations.

 

In a statement, Queensland's Environment Department said in instances where animals cause, or may cause, damage or loss, or represents a threat to human health or wellbeing, applications can be made for a Damage Mitigation Permit.

 

But Mr Guerin described the approach as "fundamentally wrong".

 

"Fill out another other set of forms if you feel like you have exemption," he said.

 

"That's not good enough.

 

Huge animal welfare issue ...

 

Cancelling quotas will cripple towns ... 

 

A sustainable, high value product ...

 

more

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-05/harvest-cancelled-while-millions-of-kangaroos-starve-in-drought/11669190