In this file:
· ASF Task Force: Banned pork products from Luzon proliferate Cebu wet markets
· Man caught selling ‘ASF-infected’ pork in QC
ASF Task Force: Banned pork products from Luzon proliferate Cebu wet markets
By: Rosalie Abatayo, Cebu Daily News (Philippines)
October 07, 2019
CEBU CITY, Philippines — Pork products from Luzon still made it to some wet markets in Cebu despite the ban imposed by the Cebu provincial government.
Dr. Mary Rose Vincoy, the provincial veterinarian and head of the ASF Task Force, admitted that some traders are now trying to play a “hide-and-seek” game with the Cebu Provincial African Swine Fever (ASF) Task Force.
They display pork products from Luzon that were earlier ordered banned from grocery stores.
“The task force is now also monitoring the wet markets for pork products coming from Luzon. Some of the vendors even hide the products under their stalls during our inspections,” Vincoy said in an interview on Monday, October 7.
Last week, the ASF team discovered the display of pork products from Luzon in some of the wet market stalls in Talisay City.
Dr. Mary Thessa Loraine Alo, Talisay City veterinarian, said they already issued a warning to the owners of the stalls where the banned pork products were discovered.
Alo said the concerned vendors explained that they were just awaiting for their suppliers to pull out said products and ship this back to its manufacturers in Luzon to avoid from paying the shipping cost.
“Actually, nag-arrange na daw na sila sa suppliers ug naghuwat na lang sila kay ang ilang kasabutang nga ang suppliers maoy mogasto sa pag-ship back,” Alo told CDN Digital in a phone interview.
(Actually, they already made arrangements with their suppliers and they are just waiting for these products to be pulled out for return to its manufacturer.)
They also spoke with the vendors and explained to them of the need to already confiscate the Luzon-sourced pork products if they will still find these on their stalls during their next inspection.
Vincoy also said they already...
Man caught selling ‘ASF-infected’ pork in QC
By CNN Philippines Staff
Oct 6, 2019
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 6) — Authorities nabbed a man Sunday morning in Barangay Bahay Toro, Quezon City, for selling what they claimed to be pork infected with African Swine Fever (ASF) virus.
Quezon City veterinarian Dr. Ana Cabel said the man was selling pork that came from Barangay Payatas — ground zero for the ASF virus in the city. According to Cabel, since it came from that area, it has already been exposed to the virus.
All pigs from that area should have been culled, Cabel said.
She added that they will file a formal complaint against the man on Monday.
The carcass of the animal however, has not yet been tested for ASF.
Meanwhile, Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said they have started culling pigs in Barangay Tandang Sora, as a number of hogs there with ASF symptoms have died in the past days.
“We observed that several of the pigs have already been dying and they have been displaying symptoms of ASF. So, the punong barangay took the initiative to talk to piggery owners and they were very willing to submit their pigs for culling already as a preemptive measure,” Belmonte said...