In this file:

 

·         Cebu ups vigilance against ASF after 7.4K pigs culled in luzon

… members of the task force found that their transport permits had been tampered with...

 

·         Manila confirms African swine fever, pigs culled

… the outbreak could be linked to smuggled frozen meat…

 

 

Cebu ups vigilance against ASF after 7.4K pigs culled in luzon

 

Rona T. Fernandez, SunStar (Philippines)  

September 10, 2019

 

THERE is no reported case of African swine fever (ASF) in Cebu, but the Provincial Government and other agencies are doubling their efforts to prevent the spread of the disease.

 

For Department of Agriculture (DA) 7 Director Salvador Diputado, as long as seaports and airports continue to tighten their security measures, hogs in Cebu will be kept safe from the deadly virus.

 

“So far, to this very minute, there are no reported incidents in Central Visayas that are similar to the incidents in Rizal,” Diputado said on Monday, Sept. 9, 2019.

 

According to DA-Crisis Management Team Bulletin 5 issued on Monday, the confirmatory Polymerase Chain Reaction test rendered positive results for ASF. The DA, though, has yet to receive the viral isolation test from the United Kingdom.

 

“Rest assured that the DA is on top of the situation. We are prepared to respond to all scenarios. We assure the public there is enough supply of pork in the market. We are pleased to report that we have already suspended the ground operations in Rizal and will now focus on cleaning and disinfection operations. However, we will remain vigilant and continue to vigorously conduct surveillance and quarantine measures,” the bulletin read.

 

ABS-CBN News reported on Monday that some 7,416 pigs within the one-kilometer radius of affected areas in parts of Rizal and Bulacan provinces had been culled.

 

Agriculture Secretary William Dar said these areas are now considered “cleared” of the disease.

 

Despite Dar’s pronouncement, the Provincial Government is not letting its guard down.

 

“We must now double our efforts at vigilance against the entry of pork and pork-related products this time, not just from ASF-stricken countries, but also from within the Philippines. EOs (Executive Order) 13, 13-A and 14 shall remain strictly enforced,” said Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia.

 

The governor issued EO 14 on Aug. 22, prohibiting the entry of pork, pork-related products and byproducts into Cebu Province without permits or certificates for 100 calendar days.

 

EO 14 also regulates the entry of live hogs through all ports in the province for 100 days as well.

 

It augments EO 13 issued on Aug. 20, which adopted an ASF provincial preparedness and contingency plan and created a task force.

 

Through the implementation of the temporary ban, around 100 live hogs that arrived in Cebu were shipped back to Masbate on Aug. 26, after members of the task force found that their transport permits had been tampered with...

 

more

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1822429/Cebu/Local-News/Cebu-ups-vigilance-against-ASF-after-74K-pigs-culled-in-luzon

 

 

Manila confirms African swine fever, pigs culled

LATEST IN ASIA:The Department of Agriculture said the outbreak could be linked to smuggled frozen meat and overseas workers bringing back infected products

 

The Taipei Times

Sep 10, 2019

 

AP, MANILA | Lab tests have confirmed that African swine fever caused the deaths of pig herds in at least seven villages near Manila and a multiagency body will be set up to ensure the highly contagious disease does not spread further, Philippine officials said yesterday.

 

Philippine Secretary of Agriculture William Dar said 14 of 20 blood samples sent to a British lab tested positive for the disease, but further tests were needed to ascertain the virulence of the virus.

 

Infections in affected villages have been contained in recent weeks, and backyard farms hit by the virus and outlying areas have been placed under quarantine and disinfected to prevent recurrences, Dar and other agriculture officials said.

 

“What hit us we don’t know among the 35 strains,” Dar said at a news conference.

 

He appealed to journalists to help the government prevent public alarm that could hurt the local hog industry.

 

More than 7,400 pigs have been culled in farms in villages in Rizal and Bulacan provinces that were feared to have been hit by the viral infection in recent months.

 

The Department of Agriculture is verifying reports of new infections in other areas, Dar said, but he refused to identify the areas.

 

Despite confirmation of the infections, officials say authorities are in control of the problem and would tighten checks, including in airports and seaports, and crack down on smuggling of imported meat to prevent largescale outbreaks.

 

They said pork supplies and prices would remain normal.

 

“The hog industry is one of the more critical industries in the country. Let us not allow it to be affected in a big way,” Dar said...

 

more

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2019/09/10/2003722040