In this file:
· European Commission steps up action against Brazilian meat fraud
· Brazil meat firms risk being struck off EU's supplier list after Carne Fraca probe
European Commission steps up action against Brazilian meat fraud
By Liz Newark, In Brussels, GlobalMeatNews
The European Commission wants to delist all companies involved in the latest cases of fraud in Brazil’s meat sector from having access to European Union (EU) markets, the EU executive’s spokesperson for health and food safety Anca Paduraru has told GlobalMeatNews.
“An official letter asking for detailed information on the findings was sent to the Brazilian authorities on March 5,” she said, adding depending on the response, “the Commission could take any additional measure considered necessary.”
Meanwhile, additional pre-export certification and re-enforced controls at EU borders for Brazilian meat exports, implemented since March 2017 over earlier concerns about Brazilian food safety controls, remain to ensure the safety of EU imports, she said.
These include suspension of imports from establishments implicated in any fraud regarding quality controls as well as 100% physical checks of all consignments of animal origin presented for import and microbiological (laboratory) checks on 20% of such exports.
“Importers bear the costs of these checks,” the spokesperson told GlobalMeatNews. “Moreover, in January, a follow-up audit to May 2017’s on the meat sector [covering many premises, including previously ‘problematic’ ones] took place to verify the correct implementation of the corrective and additional measures committed by Brazilian authorities. Its outcome will therefore be of paramount importance to define the way forward.”
Her comments follow EU farm body Copa-Cogeca’s March 8 demand for stricter measures against Brazilian meat imports, after new cases of fraud in laboratories emerged last week.
“All options should be put on the table, including the introduction of safeguard measures for sanitary reasons,” Copa-Cogeca secretary-general Pekka Pesonen said.
He clarified action was essential...
Brazil meat firms risk being struck off EU's supplier list after Carne Fraca probe
By Simon Harvey, Just-Food
13 March 2018
A number of Brazilian meat firms are at risk of being struck off the European Union's approved suppliers list following allegations of corruption throughout the country's processing chain.
Meat giant JBS and chicken processor BRF were among Brazilian companies investigated in 2017 under the so-called Carne Fraca probe, which became known as 'Weak Flesh.' The allegations centred on bribes made by corporate executives to politicians and paying inspectors at the Ministry of Agriculture to overlook unsanitary practises.
A spokesperson at the European Commission's Health and Food Safety department confirmed that a draft of the proposal was presented to the Member States Standing Committee on Plant and Animal Food and Feed on 28 February. However, no decision has yet been taken, the spokesperson added.
"The draft text proposes indeed to de-list certain Brazilian establishments from which imports of products of animal origin are currently authorised,'' the spokesperson told just-food. "And the measure is indeed related to the deficiencies recently detected in the Brazilian official control system.''
The number of affected firms cannot be confirmed, the spokesperson said...