In this file:
· Hong Kong reports African swine fever case
· Hong Kong confirms first case of African swine fever – and orders cull of 6,000 pigs at Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse
· Hong Kong Says Pigs to Be Culled Before China Supply Resumes
Hong Kong reports African swine fever case
Reporting by Twinnie Siu and Meg Shen; Editing by Louise Heavens, Reuters
Thomson Reuters Foundation News - 10 May 2019
HONG KONG, May 10 (Reuters) - Hong Kong government confirmed an African swine fever case on Friday night, in a further sign that the virus is continuing to spread beyond mainland China's borders.
The case of the incurable disease was found in Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse which is located in the New Territories, bordering China's southern Guangdong province.
Around 6,000 pigs in the slaughterhouse will be culled, an official from the food and health department said, adding that the slaughterhouse will be closed for cleaning and sanitising in a bid to stop the spread of the virus.
The disease, which is fatal to pigs but harmless in humans, has spread to every province on the Chinese mainland since its initial detection in August 2018…
Hong Kong confirms first case of African swine fever – and orders cull of 6,000 pigs at Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse
Pig imported from Guangdong province was first to test positive for disease
Fever poses no human risk, but continues to devastate pork industry
Danny Mok & Christy Leung, South China Morning Post
10 May, 2019
Hong Kong confirmed its first case of African swine fever on Friday and ordered the cull of at least 6,000 pigs at a government-owned slaughterhouse.
Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan Siu-chee announced the finding late on Friday and detailed the government’s plans to tackle the swine fever , which is highly infectious to pigs but poses no health risk to humans.
“In order to minimise the risks of the African swine fever virus spreading from the slaughterhouse. All pigs in Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse will be culled so that thorough cleansing and disinfection could be conducted,” Chan said.
She said the abattoir would suspend operations until the disinfection was completed. Chan said she expected the city’s supply of fresh pork to be reduced in the near future. Tsuen Wan Slaughterhouse was not affected by the virus, she added, so a limited supply would still be available.
Health authorities said the infected pig was imported from Zhanjiang, Guangdong province.
Dr Kenny Ho Chin-ho, a city agriculture official, said the pig showed no symptoms of the fever before it was slaughtered for consumption. A routine test on an organ sample, which was collected on May 2 but only tested on Friday, detected the virus.
Centre for Food Safety chief Dr Philip Ho Yuk-yin said the authorities had yet to discover where the pig had contracted the virus and when it reached Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse.
Ho said the batch that included the sick pig had already been released to the market.
Chan Kin-yip, the chairman of the Federation of Hong Kong Agriculture Association, said the government told pork industry officials that all 6,000 pigs at Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse needed to be killed to prevent the spread of the fever.
Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse is owned by the Hong Kong government and supplies 80 per cent of pork to the city.
African swine fever...
Hong Kong Says Pigs to Be Culled Before China Supply Resumes
Pig infected with swine fever virus found in HK slaughterhouse
African swine fever ‘will not be transmitted to humans’: govt
By Denise Wee, Bloomberg
May 12, 2019
Hong Kong must cull all pigs in a slaughterhouse where one was found infected with the African Swine virus before supply from China can be resumed, the city’s authorities said on Sunday.
Some pork traders objected to the culling of 6,000 pigs at the abattoir, a protest that Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan called illegal. The government had ordered the cull on Friday to minimize the risk of the virus spreading.
We have to “clean and disinfect the site in order for the next batch of supply from the mainland and other places to come in, so that the supply of pork will resume as soon as possible,” Chan said on Sunday.
“I appeal to the traders and also the buyers to co-operate with the government and let our operation continue,” she said. It would be in “the best interest not only to the traders, the buyers and the entire live pork industry.”
The government reached an agreement with pork traders, heading off a threat of stronger protest action, Radio Television Hong Kong reported on Sunday. The cull will begin on Monday with the slaughter and disinfection process to be completed in seven days, RTHK said, citing a meeting between the government and representatives of traders.
The Chinese government has stepped up efforts to control the deadly pig contagion ravaging its $128 billion pork industry, ordering mandatory testing for African swine fever at more than 10,000 slaughterhouses nationwide.
China suspended the transport...
more, including links, chart