In this file:
· BRF execs barred from returning to Brazil's top chicken exporter
· Brazilian meat scandal: Salmonella in chicken cover-up allegations
· No risk of new bans on Brazil meat after probe: minister
BRF execs barred from returning to Brazil's top chicken exporter
Reporting by Anthony Boadle; Editing by David Gregorio, Reuters
March 10, 2018
BRASILIA (Reuters) - Executives of major food processor BRF SA who were released by police on Friday will not be able to return to their posts at the company, the world’s largest poultry exporter, Brazil’s public prosecutor’s office said on Saturday.
A Brazilian judge ordered their suspension from their activities in the company to avoid the risk of them interfering with an ongoing investigation that they engaged in fraud to evade food safety inspections.
They were ordered to stay away from the company and any establishments BRF dealt with, including labs.
Police arrested former BRF chief executive officer Pedro Faria, the company’s former vice president Helio dos Santos and other executives on Monday on charges that they knew the company engaged in fraud to evade food safety inspections.
All six people were set free on Friday.
BRF shares posted their biggest loss ever on the Sao Paulo stock exchange after the arrests that compounded concerns about the firm’s leadership following a 1.1 billion reais ($338 million) loss last year in the fallout from the “Weak Flesh” investigation into alleged bribery of food-sanitation inspectors at BRF and other food Brazilian processors.
Major shareholders have been pushing to replace the entire BRF board of directors and Chairman Abilio Diniz, a billionaire retail magnate, in the wake of last year’s scandal.
Faria, BRF’s chief executive between 2015 and 2017, and Dos Santos, who resigned last week as BRF’s vice president of global operations, spent the week in police custody with four other company officials in Curitiba, Paraná state...
Brazilian meat scandal: Salmonella in chicken cover-up allegations
Tony McDougal, Poultry World
Mar 12, 2018
Authorities in Brazil have launched a third phase of investigations into the Brazilian meat industry amid allegations that laboratories covered up the extent of salmonella found in chicken.
The latest phase of Operation Weak Flesh has involved 270 federal policy and 21 federal agricultural tax auditors, who performed 91 court orders across the country.
6 plants under investigation
The Brazilian Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply said 4 BRF industrial plants were under investigation, including 2 poultry processing plants.
The investigation is also looking at whether a number of private laboratories covered up the existence of salmonella in products from BRF.
Agriculture Minister Blairo Maggi said the latest phase of investigations dealt with events in 2014 and 2015.
“These are things of the past and we want to clearly separate the past from the present and defends the Ministry’s point of view that we are doing things correctly and transparently.”
Brazil is currently modernising and over-hauling its antiquated food safety system, including a plant to centralise inspections at abattoirs.
EU expected to delist 7 poultry & meat plants ...
EU action prompted by deficiencies in control system ...
No risk of new bans on Brazil meat after probe: minister
By Jake Spring, Reuters
via Yahoo! 7 News (AU) - March 8th, 2018
BRASILIA (Reuters) - Brazil does not face any risks of countries instituting new bans on Brazilian meat imports after the latest phase of the "Weak Flesh" investigation into companies accused of committing fraud to avoid safety checks, Agriculture Minister Blairo Maggi said on Wednesday.
Federal police announced a new phase of the probe this week, issuing dozens of arrest and seizure warrants, and arrested the former chief executive officer of top chicken exporter BRF SA.
Maggi told reporters the latest phase deals with events in 2014 and 2015. There have been no new accusations since then.
"These are things of the past and we want to clearly separate the past from the present and defend the Ministry's point of view that we are doing things correctly and transparently," he said.
The ministry sent information clarifying the nature of the new accusations to trade partners and instituting certain "self embargos" as precautionary measures, he said. On Monday, the ministry suspended operations at four BRF plants...