Fact sheet clarifies new transport regulations’ reach on agriculture industry

Do the new regulations apply to you when driving a pickup hauling a trailer?


Kay Ledbetter, BEEF Magazine

Feb 07, 2018


Concern in the agricultural industry about the impact of new regulations regarding electronic logging devices, passed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, has prompted a Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service specialist to co-create an outline addressing common concerns.


Tiffany Dowell Lashmet, AgriLife Extension agricultural law specialist in Amarillo, and Elizabeth Rumley with the National Agricultural Law Center, intend for the outline to help drivers determine whether the new regulations apply to them when driving a pickup hauling a trailer.


The outline can be found https://t.co/CBFflFeIFq.


The regulations require certain vehicles hauling property, including livestock and horses, begin utilizing an electronic logging device, or ELD, and comply with certain hours of service limitations, Lashmet said.


“This has been a particular concern for persons hauling animals a long distance, such as those involved in rodeo or livestock shows,” Lashmet said.  “Our goal with this outline is to help people walk through the various considerations and exceptions that must be considered in determining whether these requirements may apply.”


Currently, there is a 90-day waiver in place excluding “the transportation of agricultural commodities” from the new hours-of-service and electronic logging device regulations. This would apply to persons hauling commodities, as well as livestock and horses, and will be in place until March 18, Lashmet said.


A person relying upon this waiver should carry a copy of the waiver and present it to safety enforcement officials, she said. A copy of the waiver may be found at http://bit.ly/2EMopmH.


“There has been some incomplete information out there regarding when these regulations will apply,” Lashmet said. “There are a number of different exemptions that can apply to a person, which would make the regulations inapplicable. And, just because one exemption does not apply, another might.”


For example, she said, if a vehicle meets the definition of a “covered farm vehicle,” then the driver does not need a commercial driver’s license or CDL and does not need an electronic logging device.


Alternatively, if the “covered farm vehicle” exception does not apply, there is an exception to the electronic logging device requirement for “occasional transportation” of property if the person is:


more, including links